- Proper Plaid Pants
- Winter Beach Blues
- Always Learning
- Cherries in the Snow
- Slushy Sunday
- Birthday Outing, part 2
- Blustery in Blue
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 12
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 11
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 10
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 9
- Stars and Evergreen
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 8
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 7
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 6
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 5
- The "White Christmas" Skirt Suit
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 4
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 3
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 2
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 1
- Joyfully Pink
- Half a Suit & Leopard Print
- "...And sables might add to my charms."
- Last of the Leaves
- And now for a little Seasonal Materialism...
- Capital Decades '40s Fashion Show
- Catch up for the week
- NOTD: Pastel Pink and Gaudy Sparkles
- Week 52.3: Polka Dots & a Peasant Blouse
- Week 52.2: Pretty in Pink
- From the Family Archives, 1920s Edition
- Week 52.1: Basic Black
- Week 51.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- Week 51.2: A New Hat for Church
- Week 51.1: Windy Wednesday
- Week 50.3: New Accessories
- Week 50.2: Me & My Middy
- Week 50.1: Odds and Ends
- Week 49.3: Summer Sewing
- NOTD: Purple Houndstooth
- Week 49.2: A Trip to the Train Museum!
- Week 49.1: Another Day, Another (New-To-Me) Dress
- Week 48.3: Pink & Grey
- Week 48.2: Sleeve Additions
- NOTD: Paisley Gradient
- Week 48.1: Ruffles and Lace and Pink
- NOTD: Green & Blue Gradient
- Week 47.3: Concert Black
- NOTD: Golden Gradient with Swirled Stamping
- Week 47.2: Working
- NOTD: Orange and Grey
- Week 47.1: Easter Dress
- Week 46.3: Unseasonable Orange
- Week 46.2: Flower Colors
- NOTD: Lights of the Emerald City
- Week 46.1: Purple Platforms
- NOTD: Mango & Polka Dots
- Week 45.3: Spring-ing
- NOTD: Argos
- Week 45.2: Grey and Rainy
- NOTD: Water Spotted Fail
- The Google Reader-Pocalypse
- Week 45.1: Irish For A Day
- Week 44.3: An Expo Expedition
- NOTD: Belated Butter London Gradient
- Week 44.2: Going Places
- Week 44.1: Teal & Black
- Week 43.3: A New Dress Day!
- NOTD: Silver Swirls & Sparkle Gradient
- Week 43.2: Springtime colors
- Week 43.1: Liturgical Colors
- NOTD: Gold Brocade Swirlies
- Week 42: Under the Weather
- Week 38.1: A Twist on Teal
- Week 37.3: Pink & Pearls
- Week 37.2: Theater Clothes
- NOTD: Icy blue
- Week 37.1: Grey
- NOTD: So you want a Revvvolution
- How To: Glitter Soled Pumps
- Week 36.3: Belated Birding
- Week 36.2: Outlandish, like a proper fashion blogger
- Week 36.1: Think Mink
- Week 35.3: Belated Birthday Presents
- NOTD: Game Day Nails!
- NOTD: Pink Lightning
- Week 35.2: Black & Blue-ish
- Week 35.1: Unseasonably green
- NOTD: Abstract Gold Stamping
- Week 34.3: Excursioning
- NOTD: Eureka! A Stamping Gold
- Week 34.2: The Annual New Year's Hike
- Week 34.1: A New Year!
- Week 33.3: Social Calls
- NOTD: Silver Snowflakes
- Week 33.2: A Christmas Extention
- NOTD: Holiday Half-moons
- Week 33.1: Merry Christmas Eve!
- Week 32.3: Early Mornings
- Week 32.2: Wearing my heart (brooch) on my sleeve
- Week 32.1: A Mall Outing
- Week 31.3: Gaudete pink
- Week 31.2: Sweater Weather
- Now We Are Two! (and a glittery manicure)
- Week 31.1: Walking
- NOTD: Sparkle Aplenty
- Week 30.2: Pretty Pajamas
- Week 30.3: Black & Tan
- NOTD: Purple Tapestry, take 2
- Week 30.1: Under the weather
- NOTD: Tiffany Blue
- Week 29.3: Stage Fright
- Week 29.2: Seasonal Foliage
- Week 29.1: Trees & Tinsel
- NOTD: Green with Silver Glequins
- Week 28.3: Post-Thanksgiving Crash!
- Week 28.2: Favorite coat & a new hat!
- Week 28.1: Casual clothes for housework & errands
- NOTD: Vampy Red Stamping
- Week 27.3: New Blue Gloves
- Week 27.2: Afternoon Coffee
- Week 27.1: A Birding Expotition
- NOTD: Green & Purple
- Week 26.3: Navy & a hat
- NOTD: Musical Nails
- Week 26.2: Halfway there! & a belated Wednesday weigh-in
- NOTD: Subtle Swirly Flowers
- Week 26.1: Election Day (part 2)
- Have you voted yet?
- I won something!
- Week 25.3: My last-minute Halloween costume
- Week 25.2: A Pumpkining Excursion
- Week 25.1: Black & Orange
- Week 24.3: Orange for fall
- Week 24.2: Hot pink & seamed stockings
- NOTD: Jack o' Lanterns (with bonus pumpkin cheesecake smoothie recipe!)
- Nine Ways to wear a Navy Skirt
- Week 24.1: Rain, rain, won't you stay?
- NOTD: Witchy Stripes
- Week 23.3: A Study in Beret
- NOTD: Haunted Houses
- Week 23.2: Test-driving a hat
- NOTD: Going batty!
- Week 23.1: Breaking the Dress Code
- NOTD: Pumpkin-y
- Week 22.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- NOTD: Spooky Spiderwebs
- Week 22.1 & .2: A Mini (& Minnie) Vacation
- NOTD: Boo-berry Jelly Sandwich
- Week 21.3: Black & White & Red all over
- Week 21.2: Fall is for Plaids
- NOTD: Polar Opposites Swatch
- Week 21.1: A Re-Engagement Date
- Week 20.3: Black & White
- Week 20.2: Today is Teal
- Week 20.1: A Green Suit
- NOTD: Fall Duochrome
- Week 19.3: Not my usual decade...
- NOTD: Atomic Orange Sparkles
- Week 19.2: Weigh-in Whining & Pencil Skirts
- NOTD: Bike Helmet-Inspired Chevrons
- Week 19.1: Purple & Grey
- NOTD: Seaweed Sparkles
- Week 18.3: Performances abound!
- Week 18.2: A Day for New Beginnings
- Week 18.1: Yellow Plaid for Summer
- NOTD: Copper Cougar
- Week 17.3: Doug's Senior Recital!
- Week 17.1 & 17.2: In which I am STILL not losing weight.
- NOTD: Golden Glitter Gradient
- Week 16.3: The Annual End-Of-Summer Hike
- Week 16.1 & 16.2
- The week in brief: NOTD & outfits 15.2 & 15.3
- Week 15.1: An Unfortunate Diversion
- NOTD: Shattered Lavender Gradient
- Week 14.2 & .3: Getting back on the bandwagon
- NOTD: Housepaint Nails
- NOTD: Rare & Radiant, stamped!
- Week 14.1: Wednesday Weigh-in
- Week 13: Procrastination overview edition!
- NOTD: Experiments in Duochrome Stamping
- Week 12.2 & .3: Channeling the '60s
- Week 12.1: Three months down!
- NOTD: Nebula Nails
- Week 11.3: Purple Polkadots
- Week 11.2: Griping in a Grey Dress
- NOTD: Nails for the Games!
- Week 11.1: An announcement & a photoshoot
- NOTD: Subtle Nude Stamping
- Week 10.3: A Day at the Fair, a Night at the Opera
- Week 10.2: Rainbow plaid & some progress, finally!
- NOTD: Pastel Purple Zebra
- Week 10.1: Bumblebee skirt & Beehive hair
- Week 9.3: More Clothes for Lazy Days
- NOTD: Sunny yellow
- Week 9.2: Gloves for Summer
- Week 9.1: Muumuu weather
- NOTD: Mer-maid for Each Other swatch
- Week 8.3: Pink & Green
- Week 8.2: 4th of July outfit & weigh-in
- NOTD: Sparkles for the 4th
- Week 8.1: Return of the Red Dress
- NOTD: Blue & White Flowers
- Week 7.3: Beach wrap-up and exercise
- NOTD: Ocean Flowers
- Week 7.2: Beautiful days at the beach
- Week 7.1: A new sundress at the beach
- Plans for a new summer dress
- Week 6.3: A fancy dress for a sushi date
- NOTD: Hawaiian print for the beach!
- Week 6.2: Wednesday's outfit & weigh-in
- Week 6.1: 80s-does-40s floral fun
- NOTD: Copycat Stained Glass Nails
- Recent goodies of the non-nail variety
- Week 5.3: Painting
- NOTD: Cruisin', fully clothed
- Week 5.2: A Funny Hat & A Decided Lack of Progress
- NOTD: Cult Nails Iconic
- Week 5.1: An over-the-top outfit & the One that Got Away
- NOTD: Vera Bradley-inspired daisies
- Week 4.3: A Detour for Dinosaurs
- Week 4.2: Travel and curls
- NOTD: Royal & Gold
- Week 4.1: On the road again!
- Week 3.3: Biking gear
- NOTD: June Beetle-esque (Ivanka)
- Week 3.2: Green petticoats & a lack of fish
- NOTD: Milani Digital
- Week 3.1: Yellow for vacation
- NOTD: Coral Stone
- From the Vault: China Glaze Ruby Pumps
- Week 2.3: Rushmore
- Week 2.2: Grand Tetons & Yellowstone
- Week 2.1: On the Road!
- NOTD: In anticipation of fishing
- Week 1.3 - Workout clothes & cleaning day
- Week 1.2: Wednesday weigh-in and a bracelet of mysterious origin
- NOTD: Watery Blue Gradient
- NOTD: A Gradient of a Different Color
- Changes around the blog & a personal challenge
- NOTD: Gradient Green
- Works For Me Wednesday: Vintage Sewing Patterns
- NOTD: Copycat Tiger Stripes
- NOTD: Rainbow snakeskin
- Works for Me Wednesday: Not Procrastinating
- NOTD: Rainy silver stamping
- NOTD: Something Orange
- Works for Me Wednesday: Nail polish swatches
- NOTD: Freehand daisies
- NOTD: Leafy Green Stamping
- How To: Nail polish cleanup
- China Glaze Ray-Diant
- Easter nails & how I wore them
- Blogger's first Bakelite
- Neon nails & navy skirts
- Nail mail & a recipe!
- From the vault: Purple holo
- NOTD: Gym clothes inspired
- NOLW (Nails of Last Week)
- NOTD & an outfit, for love of spring and primary colors
- NOTD: Belated St. Patty's Day greens
- From the Vault: Subtle Geekiness
- Senior Recital
- Guest post at Pretty Digits
- Decisions, decisions...
- NOTD: Pink Stamping
- Guest Nails: A good stamping red!
- NOTD: Revlon Royal
Aug 6, 2018
On Friday morning, I (aided and abetted by my husband) made a very last minute decision to attend the Roaring Twenties Lawn Party at the Crane Estate. There was just one problem – I generally dress in 40s and 50s styles and had nothing to wear. My husband picked up the tickets online, and I ran to the nearest fabric store on my lunch break and texted pictures of every likely print to a friend. I eventually settled on a nearly-empty bolt of an umbrella print and some solid blue to pair it with. I had a 1930s pajama pattern and I figured that with a few tweaks and a daywear fabric I could make them into passable beach pajamas.
The pajamas said that I needed just shy of 4 yards of 36” fabric, plus optionally a yard for the contrast. There were 2 yards of the umbrella print fabric left, and somehow in my hunger- and panic-addled state I decided that I only needed two yards of the coordinating blue fabric.
When I returned home in the evening, fabric in hand, I threw everything in the wash and got out my pattern to trace. This is where I hit the first snag – it turned out that the pants pieces were no longer in the envelope! After a moment of panic, I remembered that print-at-home patterns were a thing and headed to Etsy.
I settled on the Wearing History Chic Ahoy culotte pattern, which I figured would be close enough, and got to work printing and taping. I made a few modifications to the pattern – I shortened the waistband to the natural waist, omitted the ties, and left out the pockets – and crossed my fingers. Of course, at this point I realized that there was no way I was getting an entire pair of pants out of my umbrella fabric – it had a one-way nap, and there just wasn’t room. I swapped the main pants pieces to my solid fabric and cut 10-inch hem extensions from the umbrellas instead, hoping to recreate the look of the pants in the original pajama pattern.
Satisfied that the pants would come together, I went to bed and planned to resume sewing in the morning.
Apr 20, 2018
Continuing our non-chronological trek through my photo backlog, today’s outfit features a bit of a mending trick.
You see, I bought this dress from FabGabs when she was having a bit of a clearance sale and although the dress fit like a glove, there was no way that my arms were going to fit in the sleeves.
Apr 14, 2018
I’ve been putting off sharing photos from last summer and fall all winter — I’m not sure why, it’s not like any of you are reading a vintage fashion blog to discover hot new trends for Spring/Summer 2018 or so you can go out and buy whatever dress I’m reviewing on the blog. All my style choices are at least 50 years out of date and most of the dresses you couldn’t buy even if you wanted to. So really, what does it matter if I’m behind or ahead of the seasons a bit?
I probably could wear this outfit right now if I wanted to, but the scenery wouldn’t be nearly as green and lovely.
The highlight here, of course, is this absurd hat. My friend Hannah (@giltriddengal) was selling it and obviously it’s right up my alley. I knew this novelty print dress would be a perfect match for it, and I’ll definitely be wearing this combination again.
Mar 28, 2018
This post has been sitting in my drafts since December, and the events happened even longer ago than that, but since it is late March and just keeps snowing, I think it seems as good a time as any to recap the second leg of our California honeymoon trip – a visit to Disneyland!
We both grew up in California, but while Doug got to go to Disneyland with some regularity, it was a very rare treat for me. We figured that there was no better way to kick off our official adulthood phase of life than by going and enjoying a few days with absolutely no responsibilities at all.
Mar 22, 2018
While we’re on the topic of sewing, I realized I never shared this novelty cotton dress I made last summer and so a post was quite overdue.
I’ve wanted some sort of fish or fishing themed dress for quite a while, since fishing at the lake was one of the high points of every childhood summer – and it still is a high point of summers as an adult! Unfortunately, I’ve had some difficulty finding a print I liked. Many fishing prints, no matter how colorful, are on a cream background, which I absolutely hate on myself.
I’m not the most keen on brown either, but when I saw this fishing lure print fabric I figured it was worth a shot.