- Proper Plaid Pants
- Winter Beach Blues
- Always Learning
- Cherries in the Snow
- Slushy Sunday
- Birthday Outing, part 2
- Blustery in Blue
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 12
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 11
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 10
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 9
- Stars and Evergreen
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 8
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 7
- 12 Days of Carols, Day 6
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 5
- The "White Christmas" Skirt Suit
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 4
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 3
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 2
- 12 Days of Christmas Carols, Day 1
- Joyfully Pink
- Half a Suit & Leopard Print
- "...And sables might add to my charms."
- Last of the Leaves
- And now for a little Seasonal Materialism...
- Capital Decades '40s Fashion Show
- Catch up for the week
- NOTD: Pastel Pink and Gaudy Sparkles
- Week 52.3: Polka Dots & a Peasant Blouse
- Week 52.2: Pretty in Pink
- From the Family Archives, 1920s Edition
- Week 52.1: Basic Black
- Week 51.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- Week 51.2: A New Hat for Church
- Week 51.1: Windy Wednesday
- Week 50.3: New Accessories
- Week 50.2: Me & My Middy
- Week 50.1: Odds and Ends
- Week 49.3: Summer Sewing
- NOTD: Purple Houndstooth
- Week 49.2: A Trip to the Train Museum!
- Week 49.1: Another Day, Another (New-To-Me) Dress
- Week 48.3: Pink & Grey
- Week 48.2: Sleeve Additions
- NOTD: Paisley Gradient
- Week 48.1: Ruffles and Lace and Pink
- NOTD: Green & Blue Gradient
- Week 47.3: Concert Black
- NOTD: Golden Gradient with Swirled Stamping
- Week 47.2: Working
- NOTD: Orange and Grey
- Week 47.1: Easter Dress
- Week 46.3: Unseasonable Orange
- Week 46.2: Flower Colors
- NOTD: Lights of the Emerald City
- Week 46.1: Purple Platforms
- NOTD: Mango & Polka Dots
- Week 45.3: Spring-ing
- NOTD: Argos
- Week 45.2: Grey and Rainy
- NOTD: Water Spotted Fail
- The Google Reader-Pocalypse
- Week 45.1: Irish For A Day
- Week 44.3: An Expo Expedition
- NOTD: Belated Butter London Gradient
- Week 44.2: Going Places
- Week 44.1: Teal & Black
- Week 43.3: A New Dress Day!
- NOTD: Silver Swirls & Sparkle Gradient
- Week 43.2: Springtime colors
- Week 43.1: Liturgical Colors
- NOTD: Gold Brocade Swirlies
- Week 42: Under the Weather
- Week 38.1: A Twist on Teal
- Week 37.3: Pink & Pearls
- Week 37.2: Theater Clothes
- NOTD: Icy blue
- Week 37.1: Grey
- NOTD: So you want a Revvvolution
- How To: Glitter Soled Pumps
- Week 36.3: Belated Birding
- Week 36.2: Outlandish, like a proper fashion blogger
- Week 36.1: Think Mink
- Week 35.3: Belated Birthday Presents
- NOTD: Game Day Nails!
- NOTD: Pink Lightning
- Week 35.2: Black & Blue-ish
- Week 35.1: Unseasonably green
- NOTD: Abstract Gold Stamping
- Week 34.3: Excursioning
- NOTD: Eureka! A Stamping Gold
- Week 34.2: The Annual New Year's Hike
- Week 34.1: A New Year!
- Week 33.3: Social Calls
- NOTD: Silver Snowflakes
- Week 33.2: A Christmas Extention
- NOTD: Holiday Half-moons
- Week 33.1: Merry Christmas Eve!
- Week 32.3: Early Mornings
- Week 32.2: Wearing my heart (brooch) on my sleeve
- Week 32.1: A Mall Outing
- Week 31.3: Gaudete pink
- Week 31.2: Sweater Weather
- Now We Are Two! (and a glittery manicure)
- Week 31.1: Walking
- NOTD: Sparkle Aplenty
- Week 30.2: Pretty Pajamas
- Week 30.3: Black & Tan
- NOTD: Purple Tapestry, take 2
- Week 30.1: Under the weather
- NOTD: Tiffany Blue
- Week 29.3: Stage Fright
- Week 29.2: Seasonal Foliage
- Week 29.1: Trees & Tinsel
- NOTD: Green with Silver Glequins
- Week 28.3: Post-Thanksgiving Crash!
- Week 28.2: Favorite coat & a new hat!
- Week 28.1: Casual clothes for housework & errands
- NOTD: Vampy Red Stamping
- Week 27.3: New Blue Gloves
- Week 27.2: Afternoon Coffee
- Week 27.1: A Birding Expotition
- NOTD: Green & Purple
- Week 26.3: Navy & a hat
- NOTD: Musical Nails
- Week 26.2: Halfway there! & a belated Wednesday weigh-in
- NOTD: Subtle Swirly Flowers
- Week 26.1: Election Day (part 2)
- Have you voted yet?
- I won something!
- Week 25.3: My last-minute Halloween costume
- Week 25.2: A Pumpkining Excursion
- Week 25.1: Black & Orange
- Week 24.3: Orange for fall
- Week 24.2: Hot pink & seamed stockings
- NOTD: Jack o' Lanterns (with bonus pumpkin cheesecake smoothie recipe!)
- Nine Ways to wear a Navy Skirt
- Week 24.1: Rain, rain, won't you stay?
- NOTD: Witchy Stripes
- Week 23.3: A Study in Beret
- NOTD: Haunted Houses
- Week 23.2: Test-driving a hat
- NOTD: Going batty!
- Week 23.1: Breaking the Dress Code
- NOTD: Pumpkin-y
- Week 22.3: Red & Rick-Rack
- NOTD: Spooky Spiderwebs
- Week 22.1 & .2: A Mini (& Minnie) Vacation
- NOTD: Boo-berry Jelly Sandwich
- Week 21.3: Black & White & Red all over
- Week 21.2: Fall is for Plaids
- NOTD: Polar Opposites Swatch
- Week 21.1: A Re-Engagement Date
- Week 20.3: Black & White
- Week 20.2: Today is Teal
- Week 20.1: A Green Suit
- NOTD: Fall Duochrome
- Week 19.3: Not my usual decade...
- NOTD: Atomic Orange Sparkles
- Week 19.2: Weigh-in Whining & Pencil Skirts
- NOTD: Bike Helmet-Inspired Chevrons
- Week 19.1: Purple & Grey
- NOTD: Seaweed Sparkles
- Week 18.3: Performances abound!
- Week 18.2: A Day for New Beginnings
- Week 18.1: Yellow Plaid for Summer
- NOTD: Copper Cougar
- Week 17.3: Doug's Senior Recital!
- Week 17.1 & 17.2: In which I am STILL not losing weight.
- NOTD: Golden Glitter Gradient
- Week 16.3: The Annual End-Of-Summer Hike
- Week 16.1 & 16.2
- The week in brief: NOTD & outfits 15.2 & 15.3
- Week 15.1: An Unfortunate Diversion
- NOTD: Shattered Lavender Gradient
- Week 14.2 & .3: Getting back on the bandwagon
- NOTD: Housepaint Nails
- NOTD: Rare & Radiant, stamped!
- Week 14.1: Wednesday Weigh-in
- Week 13: Procrastination overview edition!
- NOTD: Experiments in Duochrome Stamping
- Week 12.2 & .3: Channeling the '60s
- Week 12.1: Three months down!
- NOTD: Nebula Nails
- Week 11.3: Purple Polkadots
- Week 11.2: Griping in a Grey Dress
- NOTD: Nails for the Games!
- Week 11.1: An announcement & a photoshoot
- NOTD: Subtle Nude Stamping
- Week 10.3: A Day at the Fair, a Night at the Opera
- Week 10.2: Rainbow plaid & some progress, finally!
- NOTD: Pastel Purple Zebra
- Week 10.1: Bumblebee skirt & Beehive hair
- Week 9.3: More Clothes for Lazy Days
- NOTD: Sunny yellow
- Week 9.2: Gloves for Summer
- Week 9.1: Muumuu weather
- NOTD: Mer-maid for Each Other swatch
- Week 8.3: Pink & Green
- Week 8.2: 4th of July outfit & weigh-in
- NOTD: Sparkles for the 4th
- Week 8.1: Return of the Red Dress
- NOTD: Blue & White Flowers
- Week 7.3: Beach wrap-up and exercise
- NOTD: Ocean Flowers
- Week 7.2: Beautiful days at the beach
- Week 7.1: A new sundress at the beach
- Plans for a new summer dress
- Week 6.3: A fancy dress for a sushi date
- NOTD: Hawaiian print for the beach!
- Week 6.2: Wednesday's outfit & weigh-in
- Week 6.1: 80s-does-40s floral fun
- NOTD: Copycat Stained Glass Nails
- Recent goodies of the non-nail variety
- Week 5.3: Painting
- NOTD: Cruisin', fully clothed
- Week 5.2: A Funny Hat & A Decided Lack of Progress
- NOTD: Cult Nails Iconic
- Week 5.1: An over-the-top outfit & the One that Got Away
- NOTD: Vera Bradley-inspired daisies
- Week 4.3: A Detour for Dinosaurs
- Week 4.2: Travel and curls
- NOTD: Royal & Gold
- Week 4.1: On the road again!
- Week 3.3: Biking gear
- NOTD: June Beetle-esque (Ivanka)
- Week 3.2: Green petticoats & a lack of fish
- NOTD: Milani Digital
- Week 3.1: Yellow for vacation
- NOTD: Coral Stone
- From the Vault: China Glaze Ruby Pumps
- Week 2.3: Rushmore
- Week 2.2: Grand Tetons & Yellowstone
- Week 2.1: On the Road!
- NOTD: In anticipation of fishing
- Week 1.3 - Workout clothes & cleaning day
- Week 1.2: Wednesday weigh-in and a bracelet of mysterious origin
- NOTD: Watery Blue Gradient
- NOTD: A Gradient of a Different Color
- Changes around the blog & a personal challenge
- NOTD: Gradient Green
- Works For Me Wednesday: Vintage Sewing Patterns
- NOTD: Copycat Tiger Stripes
- NOTD: Rainbow snakeskin
- Works for Me Wednesday: Not Procrastinating
- NOTD: Rainy silver stamping
- NOTD: Something Orange
- Works for Me Wednesday: Nail polish swatches
- NOTD: Freehand daisies
- NOTD: Leafy Green Stamping
- How To: Nail polish cleanup
- China Glaze Ray-Diant
- Easter nails & how I wore them
- Blogger's first Bakelite
- Neon nails & navy skirts
- Nail mail & a recipe!
- From the vault: Purple holo
- NOTD: Gym clothes inspired
- NOLW (Nails of Last Week)
- NOTD & an outfit, for love of spring and primary colors
- NOTD: Belated St. Patty's Day greens
- From the Vault: Subtle Geekiness
- Senior Recital
- Guest post at Pretty Digits
- Decisions, decisions...
- NOTD: Pink Stamping
- Guest Nails: A good stamping red!
- NOTD: Revlon Royal
Dec 4, 2016
Things are quite December-y around here, bare and cold, but I still have some photos left from earlier in the fall, so you’ll have to bear with a few slightly less seasonal posts, including this one. Although everything looks quite green, I assure you that it was actually freezing, which made it a perfect day to wear one of my proudest new acquisitions, my very first 1940s coat!
I picked up this coat around midsummer for a song (I think $25) due to its less-than-perfect condition. The insides of the shoulders were badly damaged, and the shoulder seams had been very shoddily reinforced by someone who did not quite understand how to sew. When I got the coat home, I set about undoing and redoing the shoulder seams (the shoulders could still use a good steaming) and making new shoulder pads to replace the disintegrating ones.
Unfortunately, the beautiful curly lamb collar is also pretty much shot. Part of my reason for taking these pictures was so that I could document the original collar in all its glory before I removed it from the coat!
Nov 26, 2016
Well, Thanksgiving is over, the leftovers are packaged up, and at least here in the United States that means it’s officially time to get into full-on Christmas mode! We got our tree up yesterday and have listened to all of Chanticleer’s Christmas albums.
So this seems as good a time as any to reflect a bit on thankfulness and gratitude. In spite of all the things going on in the world this year, I feel like I have a lot to be thankful for! A wonderful loving finace, a wedding date in the calendar (finally!), a good job, the incredibly vibrant and supportive vintage community, leftover pie for breakfast… many good things.
I actually managed to get Doug in the pictures instead of just behind the camera! The photos on the blog are a combination of pictures taken by me with a tripod and pictures taken by Doug as my human tripod (Okay, I want you to stand here and I’ve set the exposure and you just need to press the button…) although as time goes on he’s begun to pick up some more camera knowledge, and I’ll make a photographer out of him yet!
Nov 23, 2016
As the weather gets colder and soggier and the days get shorter (and shorter and shorter!), the whole photography part of blogging gets trickier. It’s a bit challenging to find a well-lit corner of the house to take pictures in, but with a little creativity a corner of the downstairs guest room/study works in a pinch. If I make a regular habit of this, though I’ll need to clean the bookshelf!
This sage green suit is a favorite of mine for the colder months, and I love how it looks paired with a rich brown, so I was looking forward to wearing it with my new Dolores pumps from Royal Vintage Shoes. Since I shortened the heel straps I’ve been wearing them quite a bit with my fall 40s looks. I feel like finishing an outfit with brown instead of black gives it a much softer look, which seems appropriate for muted-color times of year like fall and spring.
The other benefit of taking pictures indoors is that nobody is looking at you funny or walking into the frame when you’re about to take a picture… so I usually end up with more pictures (and more silly pictures) than if I were out in public! All that to say, there are a whooooole lot of pictures under the break.
Nov 15, 2016
Winter hasn’t quite kicked in yet, and we still haven’t had a real freeze yet this fall, but things are definitely starting to look a bit November-y. Sure, there’s still some lingering fall color, but we’re well on our way to drab and brown for a month or so until the snow decides to show up.
I haven’t been doing a great job at taking and posting pictures in a timely or organized manner, so I’ve still got a bit of fall in the backlog! And I’m not too terribly eager for winter to come, since it’s all I can do now to avoid spending all day hiding under a blanket and drinking tea.
These pictures are actually from the very beginning of the month, when I went out after work to hear Doug’s choir sing the Fauré requiem for All Souls Day. Somber colors for somber music.
Nov 8, 2016
It’s election day! The polls have just closed in my state, but if you live further west and happen to be a registered voter who hasn’t gotten to the polls yet, I urge you to do so! For those of us who have already voted, it looks like it’s shaping up to be a long night of results-watching and nail biting as we wait to see who won.
I of course had to get all dressed up to vote if only on principle… I just got the red skirt in the mail in the last few weeks, so it was the perfect opportunity to wear it out!
Some of the ensemble was a bit make-do-and-mend, though, like the Erstwilder “Brahminy Bryan” brooch, because if you squint hard enough a brahminy kite almost looks like a bald eagle, right?