I won’t lie… although I love cold weather and I love having four distinct seasons, sometimes winter can feel pretty drab. Everything is brown, the days are too short, and the sky is just grey. It can be a bit of a drag. And we keep just getting rain, not snow. Snow would at least make things pretty. Of course, January is really just the start of proper winter and as I type this we’re forecast to have several inches of real honest sticks-to-the-ground snow this afternoon… so perhaps next time I write I’ll be singing a different tune.
I always like to liven up my winter days (and, to be honest, most days) with a pop of color. Purple is a really good color for that in my book.
I picked up this purple suit on Etsy although I was concerned that the hips on the skirt wouldn’t fit. I was right, of course (they usually don’t) so I had to find a different skirt to wear with the jacket. Of course, as a result the jacket doesn’t fit quite as well as I might like either (big hip problems), but I’m willing to make a few compromises for royal purple and amazing details.
I’m never sure how to style purple, though… What goes with purple for winter? How do I make it into an outfit and not just a wall of purple? I tried taking some inspiration from this plaid skirt and pairing it with ice blue, which I think worked pretty well.
Now I just need to get some blue or purple shoes… My good ol’ standby Royal Vintage black pumps will have to do for now!
- 1940s purple New York Creations hat: Etsy
- Blue B. David rhinestone earring and brooch set: Grandma’s
- Sky blue 1940s sweater: from Sara
- 1940s royal purple suit jacket: Etsy
- Pendleton Turnabout style blue and purple plaid skirt: Concetta’s Closet
- 1940s style black leather pumps: Marilyns from Royal Vintage Shoes (I purchased these shoes at a discount in exchange for images and a review)